A talented product manager would be
- Someone who sees consistent patterns in the market which otherwise might not be obvious and ability to relate this into a solution that addresses this opportunity
- A person who has great passion for building a product (defining the overall experience and not just components of it)
- He has the tenacity to execute to the product vision over multiple iterations
- Understands what would constitute a true success
- Knows what is ahead 3-4 steps, can identify a win or a failure and knows how to pivot from an unsuccessful position
- Can communicate succinctly.
There are many more qualities, but some of the above are the ones that you would consistently see in top quality pm’s